Monday, April 03, 2006

A taste of bitter herbs

Passover is slowly approaching. This means a number of things: matzah, time with the family, Shmooze's Erasing Stereotypes competition, the celebration of freedom and the coming of spring. More than any of that, Passover means The Ten Commandments on ABC. Every year I anticipate watching Charlton Heston part the Red Sea and every year it's as wonderful as I expect it to be.

So why is this year different from all other years? ABC is not airing my beloved Ten Commandments; instead, they're showing a twenty-first century version of the classic. I know what you're thinking: REMAKE?! I know because I thought the same thing. I'll tell you one thing, this ABC special will not be so special to me.

No Yul Brynner and most certainly no 1950s cheesy special effects this year, all adding up to a Passover less traditional than ever before. For now, I will hope that next year ABC doesn't make the same mistake twice and brings back The Ten Commandments that I know and love. So let it be written, so let it be done.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an awesome title!!!! It's so funny!!! How did you come up with such a wicked funny title to your blog??? ;-)

7:36 PM  
Blogger Gold Nugget said...

Indeed the parting of the red sea is part of the holidays for the jewish folk as well as the christians. When i saw the commercial i had two thoughts. First, oh snap i bet Homer is not going to be happy about this. Second, the ten commandments is supposed to be viewed in one installment, not two. What the hell is ABC thinking. I think now one can appreciate the cheezy effects they use and like u said i hope this mistake is not repeated again. Doesn't ABC realize that if they make this mistake that the Jewish community might get angry, and if they get angry ABC might actually re-live the plagues?

In the wise words of Homer
"How dare you do this, IN MY HOUSE, where my children eat!!!"

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

u mean
"In my home! where I sleep!"

3:29 PM  
Blogger Daphna said...

actually, when i first read gold nugget's comment, i thought it said "IN MY HOUSE. where i eat my children!!!" oops?

6:30 PM  
Blogger Gold Nugget said...

I have to make a correction since we're talking about biblical times it should be "IN MY HOUSE, where my concubines eat!!!"

5:59 AM  
Blogger Homer said...

So I imagine you won't be able to "recline" and watch some good tv this passover..

My House: where my concubines eat, and my harem prepares me breakfast

6:20 AM  
Blogger Gold Nugget said...

Daphna,
why would you think i said "where i eat my children?" What has Homer been telling you? Is that a crack because I'm fat? Are you suggesting Hispanics are murderes of children? Are you suggesting my people are so indigenous that we are cannibals? Or am i just being annal and you ment no harm with your comment? Please advise oh wise one of the chosen people.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Daphna said...

The more appropriate question would be: what HASNT homer been telling me?
He has told me much about your people and your children-eating ways, among many, many other things...

8:39 AM  
Blogger Gold Nugget said...

But has he told you about the curly fries and the and Lincoln continentals?

9:24 AM  
Blogger Daphna said...

hahahaha, the curly fries-yes. the lincoln continentals? you're gonna have to enlighten me on that one

1:01 PM  
Blogger Gold Nugget said...

well, as generalizations go with what race you are and what car they drive, let me give you the breakdown:
Blacks - Cadillac
Mexicans - Chevy
Puerto Ricans - Toyota
Asians - Toyota, Honda (all asian brands
White trash - american car 1980 or earlier
And last but not least,
Jewish - Lincolns (continental preferrably, if not then an LS will do)
And there you have, you have been enlightened by the nugget.
Welcome to racial profiling and more importantly to the double digit club of coments

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home